Dexter is a city in Washtenaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Originally a village.
The population was 4,067 at the 2010 census. The area was first settled in 1824, 13 years before Michigan became a state, when land speculator Samuel W. Dexter purchased a large tract of land and originated the village. It was known as "Mill Creek Settlement" until the village was platted in 1830, when its name was officially changed to Dexter.